Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Bradford National Trophy

So, cyclo-cross didn't go as bad as expected.  It is my one national event for the year so I at least thought I'd give it the benefit of an easy week, particularly an easy Saturday the day before to recover ready for racing.  Still felt poo.

I guess I wasn't nervous.  I was just expecting to do badly so decided to enjoy a nice cold day out with my friends.  TSK took to the pits and herded me.  The girls made me feel better by chatting and moaning about the cold. 

As I rode down the hill looking for Andrew, he called me and I braked sharply... on tarmac... on slippy tarmac.  Then I was on the floor.  Bollocks.  It hurt.  I composed myself, set off to do a lap, realised my brake got knocked out of shape, borrowed a tool to straighten it out, did a lap, got half way around said lap, rushed back to the start to be roll-called.

We were off before I knew it. 

Alison instantly made me feel better by riding up the hill alongside me before dropping me at the first corner. 

I held my position for a few laps before my arch rival appeared, passing me like the calmest thing ever.  I didn't so much as try to catch her as suddenly found that I could on the techy bits and so we engaged in a bit of cat and mouse.  On the last lap, as my bike ticked and jumped its gears, it's little way of letting me know it is unhappy.

I changed bikes.  On an unexpected moment whilst descending and trying to keep my rival at bay, I went to dismount and the bike went one way and my standing foot the other.  I did a small courtsey, stood back up again before my other knee touched the ground and carried on running up the hill.  Meanwhile, Nicky had stacked it and broken her handlebars.  Whilst I ran up the long steep line to the finishing straight, she was trying not to let the small egg growing off her ankle get much bigger.

Bradford claimed a few scars this week but, coming in 8th place cheered me up no end and I felt satisfied I'd finally got a decent race out of the season.  Not quite as ready to quit cross straight after, I am convinced now that I'll be keeping my long distance going of preference.  That doesn't mean I can't have a bit of fun between now and then though.

No comments: