Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Fish lady

O mi god

I feel awful… but I am awesome!

I swam 4 lengths to start. Crawl. One after the other. Ususally I manage 2 – max – when I am starting off. That diminishes to one length between breast-stroke lengths and finally I give up.

I got a bit out of breath after my 4 lengths so I did a length breast-stroke. Then I did two more crawl. Out of breath again. Damn.

Having got my breath back I did another length crawl. Then 4 more. I came up for air on the next length and got a mouth full of water but amazingly, I managed to control my breathing, coughing, snorting and taking the next breath, maintain my rhythm and finish the length. A little out of breath so I slowed down one more lap.

I went back to crawl and this time, kept a steady pace. Barely trying with my legs, just churning over with my arms. I kept going and going and going. One two three breathe.
One two three breathe.
No breast stroke. I overtook people, looking ahead going forwards, checking under my armpit as I passed to make sure it was safe to pull back in.

55 bloody lengths. 55. See that? Five five. I think only 5 of them I didn’t crawl.

So why do I feel so shitty? Well, I drank / breathed more water and hyperventilated more air than there is room for in my skinny body. I am burping, snuffling, spitting, and farting odour-free farts. My kidneys hurt. Is it possible water has filtered from my lungs into my uterus because it feels like my abdomen is going to burst. And I’m knackered.

55 lengths / 45 minutes. Amazing what can happen on a day when you think, “Should I go? My shoulder still hurts from last night”.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Go you :)

I've hobbled up and down the office stairs and flat refused to take the lift. Does that count?

Lesbian feet are a real hurdle...

Trepid Explorer said...

Oh. Poor you. I ran in your honour today. 5.25km on dirt track. You saw a Great Northern Diver and a hooded merganser on your run. Oh, and a bald eagle that swooped along the river.

It took you 28 minutes.