Tuesday, July 06, 2010

What persuaded me to get out of bed this morning?

Not the conference but the realisation that tommorrow is 3 Peaks entry day. I have 3 months to go before the most important day of the year. I have NEVER been at this point in the year and able to run 10km, never mind hilly and in 1:02... and I have a 6 week period to plan for the training... and a conference in which to do it.

The last few wees have been productive for swimming and running. my new target swim race pace is a 34 second lap of the pool. Getting 2 laps done within the time was starting to frustrate me until I realised I was trying to achieve 1:04 not 1:08. Doesn't sound like much and I was needing to rest every 10 laps but, hey, that's where I was with just swimming three months ago!

The running has been helped by an article I read before the last Triathlon.

The article suggested that while elite runners tend to run in a particular, "perfect" way, that's probably why they are elite runners. It doesn't necessarily mean it's the way you and I should run.

It went on to explain that the fastest runners tend to run with a shorter, faster pace. However we all tend to run most *efficiently* when we're relaxed and not thinking about it. So the trick with running has been to practice the quickened step during training which will become second nature during the race and lead to me delivering faster times. I tried it out during the Chester Tri then continued with the runs I have done since. Sometimes it gives me a really fast time. Sometimes it gives my stomach ache but my running pace has moved from 7:26min/km to 6:15 min/km last week in Wootton Bassett. I'm hoping in Upton I will actually be able to race the run.

The final result of the running is at the ride on Sunday my legs were strong and I was able, almos,t to keep pace with Andrew all day. All of a sdden it seems, not only will I be able to keep pace with the lady runners, I might be able to keep up with some of those boys in the bike club.

I feel like I've been here before - and I have, in 1991. I also feel like I never want to be as weak as I was ever again. This is going to be a very interesting season.

No comments: