Thursday, October 13, 2005

Pass me the violin and I'll play a sad tune...

When I was on holiday, I developed a determination to come back to work and confront my employer about my new working hours and the fact that I have had a pittance payrise to do an extra 1.5 extra hours a day. I do not want more money but I do want more time for myself so that when I get in at night I am able to do more than cook dinner, eat, then watch TV until I sleep. I do not necessarily need more time in the evening. If I were to go back to my previous schedule of starting at 8am instead of 7 I could get an hour on my bike riding to work and enjoy my ride home instead of struggling to make it… awake.

But what is it about this place that makes me flog myself (as she grabs the last half hour for a blog)? I have worked through my lunch, taking time for no more than a snack (though today was microwaved thanksgiving dinner – mmmmm). I have stayed till the bitter end – yesterday even till 5 (this is late when I start at 7 and still want to go to bed at 8pm and wake at 4am)! I even made coffee for my boss this morning because he got called in an hour early for the intruder alarm and there was no coffee until I stole some from the office at 7:45am. Despite my protestations that this place makes me feel like crap, it also rewards me because I am the only sucker that knows how a lot of the system works here… and I have a ridiculous underlying enjoyment that results from solving other people’s problems for them. So on I go, beating myself with a stick for feeling unfit and working too hard.

“Why does it matter?” you ask.

Because we have been invited to go back-country skiing from a chalet in the Rockies near Revelstoke and I want to go and I want to enjoy it to the max – not be wasted from trecking uphill on skis in thin air. I want to enjoy the week - not the last day when I finally feel fit, just before going home.

Maybe tomorrow I will catch up… or maybe in three weeks time, when I am done with my audit and everyone can go back to wondering what DOES Trep actually DO at work?

But first, tonight, I am going home on-time because we have a new pussy cat and I want to play STRING! BOING!

No comments: