Thursday, September 01, 2005

Just Breathe

I get a little nervous about posting song words when in a foreign country. I mean, if it's old stuff that I know everyone I know is into, it's not so bad. When I was in Paris in 1991, though, everyone in the hostel was singing 4-non-blondes every night, blasting out of the stereo, then I get back to England and people looked at me like I was barmy when I jumped up going, "Oh I LOVE this song". Hey, it was my Paris, and I'm stuck with it.

This morning I was listening to Anna Nalick, "Just Breathe". It's a pretty tune and very stirring but this morning I listened to the words... They're great, particularly.
Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable,
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table.
Which is the chorus actually and who can blame her for using it over and over, I love the imagery of an hour glass that you can't flip. There are days when you see it running too fast and days when you wish it would stick. Today is a day for wishing it would stick. I could enjoy myself like this every day.

2 comments:

Girl said...

i like that one too, it's quite captivating. i've recently paid attention to the lyrics and heard the chorus and went 'yup'.

mango said...

Oh, the power of 'travelling' songs. I have a Bon Jovi song that I love to hate because it's one of the songs that defined the days of a Greek holiday...

Travelling songs can be very powerful, potent ways to remember a trip - just like smells. If you hear one unexpectedly it just takes you back...