Friday, May 27, 2022

Pre Highland trail 2022

Pre HT 20222

I thought I would write a few words before the HT so, if nothing else, I can look back on them and laugh later.

How do I think I'm doing?

  • I'm not as well trained this year - if you want to talk about specific training. I've done very (comparatively) few long or loaded rides.
  • I'm not as strong - I've not been in the gym nearly as much.
  • I've done more miles. Commuting since January means my consistency is up there; and people tell me that it's one of the most important things.
  • Physically I'm well rested.
  • Mentally, I've done it before and I know my strengths or weaknesses. Where not to stop, how to quit faffing.
  • My gear is sound and this year and I love the bike I'm riding.

• • •

This year I'll not be wearing the wrong shoes.

This year I'm just wanting to survive and at the same time I'm completely looking forwards to 5-10 days immersed (hopefully not literally) in nature.

The wilderness is calling.

 I went for a ride on my own before the event this year but bumped into Ian Ashton on the way so we had a chat then turned around and rode back to Tyndrum together.  We discussed what to take / what not to take.  I've been debating between stove and extra quilt.  I tried the extra quilt and it wouldn't fit in my bag so was going to do without the stove.  Ian changed my mind and the stove went back in.

The bike shop texted me to tell me the part I'd been waiting for to cover up a gap in my gear shifter had arrived in the shop (caused by a switch to new brakes).  A bit too late for the HT but also a bit necessary with all the mud that was to be flying about.  I set about taping over the gap with electrical tape.  Beautiful job if I do say so myself.

I was supposed to get an early night but instead I set about faffing with maps and got to sleep at 10:30. 

In the morning I was relaxed - a little too relaxed - and I was still running around between van and pod when the group photo was taken and only just made it to the start line for the end of the "speeches"...

No comments: