Saturday, August 21, 2021

Back in the Saddle without Touching a Bike

The last 2 1/2 months of chronic inactivity - or activity of the wrong kind - have meant that I am terribly wobbly and un-co-ordinated.

When I run or walk my hips and back are sore for days afterward and when I ride I'm tired and odd bits of me hurt. My legs are taking pedalling in my stride but cycling now makes my arms and abs hurt. I nearly went for a ride this morning but I then made the mistake of kicking off a Garmin map update "whilst I got ready" and instead started scrolling the internet looking at pictures of the Silk Road Mtn Race. I'd had a lie in. I had chores to do and I decided my 100k hilly ride would be best tackled fresh tomorrow so I finally got back on the gym bunny, grasped the gift horse by the mouth and went to the sports centre.

I did three sets of squats with some very light weights and the rest of it was unweighted or floor-work but damn I got through some moves.

I crawled out of there spent; inhaled a protein drink and bought some (no alcohol) beers on the way home.

It's only a start but the body and my brain seem to appreciate that it matters already and are onboard to eat healthier, rest healthier and recover harder through the rest of the day.

No comments: