Thursday, November 12, 2020

This morning I ran

 This feels like an understatement.

It took a lot to do this run.  I've been trying to get up in time to run for days.  It has been two since I've done any exercise.  I've been recovering hard, apparently.  I also lifted some weights on Tuesday evening in an effort to improve my strength but ironically pulled an interstitial  muscle in my back rendering me a little feeble, to say the least.

This morning, I still wasn't really up early enough but I needed to do something.  TSK has been waiting (inadvertently or otherwise) for me to get up before he comes to bed, either so he doesn't wake me or just because he falls asleep in the rocking chair downstairs before he even makes it up to bed.  That was exactly where I found him this morning.  I kissed him then sent him to bed.

I ate my breakfast then stared at the pile of clothes next to me.

I didn't feel like being cold.  I selected a pair of cotton leggings to wear underneath my hiking trousers and started dressing for a nice walk but once the leggings were on, an appropriate running bra came to hand and enough layers to keep me warm but not too warm.  I actually felt like it.

I walked down the hill to let satellites amass then started the watch and plodded along the river.  It had a similar feel to my first bike ride - a little clumsy, a little flat footed but entirely liberating.  I didn't even care that I couldn't keep up with a vegan runner.  I enthusiastically selected the rougher trail that ends in certain wet feet as the river was high and the stepping stones are low.  Sure enough, water leached into my left shoe as I plodded along, spent pack of Ibuprofen in hand to dispose of in the bin.  

I continued on up to almost the mill pond, deciding to save that for another day, I doubled back on myself now and set off up towards the top road, but not quite with a drop back down towards the Bottom A57 road before turning into the woods again to head back through trees towards the bridleway that is my bike route out.

I waited for a horse and rider which gave me chance to breathe and admire the deadly nightshade starting to berry in the bushes then passed the lamas and remembered to turn up the hill instead of trudging down the road the quick way home.  My slow pace left me feeling on form, what an amazing way to start the day.

When I got home I felt like I'd earned a second coffee but at the same time I didn't need it and I went some time before drinking some tea.  

I'd checked my calendar last night to scald myself for the training I wasn't doing only to realise it's a rest week so I'm technically not allowed to scald myself for anything.  After last week it was exactly what I needed so I relaxed, chuffed I'd managed the run, congratulated myself on excellent planning and self coaching and looked forward to kicking it next week.

Now I might just go and jump on the rollers because I feel like that too.

No comments: