Saturday, July 06, 2019

Something Edgy

Something has woken up this week. It's a while since I have felt like going quick - in any way. The Highland Trail always just felt a bit like I was surviving it. I had an excellent base of long distance strength but never ever felt like I was pushing myself - except to go further, later.

Perhaps I was just riding the waves of tiredness, always cruising the rollers before catching a wave. This week, by Thursday I felt like trying so on the way home I did a few intervals. I didnt really watch my heart rate, just got out od breath then recovered and repeat till I got home.

I tried again on Friday but this time I was broadcasting my heart rate from my watch to my Bike screen. Disappointing that I didnt really get out of zone 2, despite blowing out my nether regions so either I am dead or my watch is.

Today I needed time to catch up on life. I did household chores!

This isn't the normal chores people would think of. Sure, I put some laundry through the machine - my bike's nose bags are now hanging on the line - their innards exposed to the sun trying to bleach the last of the black mould out of them.

I also removed the soggy packets of Lockets from the plastic box we know of as oue bathroom cabinet. They had leaked into the bottom of the box and were seeping into bandages and sticking plasters, infusing with athlete's foot cream. Their best before date date was 2011.

TSK once said, "we're like ferel cats - someone should really take care of us but if we stick together we might just be OK". I sometimes wonder at the sanity of two endurance athletes living together.  Certainly few other people find our lives appetizing.

I've done nothing but tidy all day. Since we actually got our gutters fixed I have found the enthusiasm to at least treat this like a home and not a bivi spot (think of more black mould and wall paper hanging off).

As I mused about the house I wondered on my heart rate and my lungs and my sudden urge to race. Perhaps I am fit. Perhaps on Friday I was too fatigued to raise a pulse (I ran at lunchtime too). Perhaps the inhaler I have been prescribed since early May is actually making a difference to my life.  With my head in mountainbike land I haven't had time to ponder these things.

I wrote a blog post about it so I don't forget.

No comments: