Sunday, January 09, 2011

New Year

The cyclo-cross season ended with a flier of a race. Not, unfortunately, the national championships but the Todmorden new year cross last weekend. With one lap to go I reached the top of a steep cobblestone run-up to find I had a flat tyre. I nursed my bike around the last 2/3 of the lap and only then did my biggest rival catch me. WHy the puncture? Why? I wanted to know where I was going to come, how I was doing. As I crossed the line I was close to lapping Clair.

Lap 1 : 00:10:54.7

Lap 2 : 00:10:06.4

Lap 3 : 00:10:31.3

Lap 4 : 00:10:31.0

Lap 5 : 00:11:26.6


I think about 4 places were lost. Still the end of one season and the begining of the next felt good. Several people asked if I was riding the nationals. In protest at the need for a £36 license and the £18 entry fee and a race that would see me lapped and withdrawn in 30 minutes, I am not.

Since Todmorden, in a week, I have swum 3km, riden to work and run 6.6km around the national championships course.

No matter how many times I have to explain it to others, I'm perfectly happy with the decision. It's nice to put focus into tri. It's been years with cyclo-cross without making any progress but in a sport where it's about the long game, I hope I stand a chance - at least at measurable improvement if nothing else.















No comments: