Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Sleeping around in Blog-space & BC Drivers

Opera is being dirty and unreliable, giving me bad connections. So whilst I bed-hop with other blog hosts, I'm back here for now.

I know I haven't run for a long time but I didn't think I'd have to actually blow the dust off my running shoes. OK, it's a dusty office that I work in, so it's not SO long since I ran. I still managed to get up to the railway cutting - allegedly a respectable 5.95km, though I expect it's more like 5km or a bit less.

I seem to work better at this training lark if I give myself NO rest days (but perhaps the odd walking lunch instead of all-out day-in-day-out training would be more respectable.

Last night I went seriously sideways on my bike - actually dropping it into the road (thankfully there was a left hand camber so the bike wheels ended up in the road and I ended up on the gravel). No damage done. I was, however, disturbed by the slippiness of the road so I rode with a foot out at 7kmph (murder on the averages) all the way to the house. Coming down a hill in the car-tyre-tracks (not icy) instead of the cyclist's position (frozen snow / ice) with my foot out, a car behind me just had to beep. With the bus oncoming and gravity on my side, there was no way I was attempting any manoevres / stoppages / steering. As the car passed, I was so angry I yelled. I can't remember how I opened my yelling but it finished with, "What? Would you rather have me die?".

At the next hill climb, the car was stopped, waiting. A head was poking out the window. My heart was thumping and I was ready for a fight.

A pretty lady leaned out the window and said, "Hi. I just wanted you to know, that I wasn't beeping because I was mad at you. I wanted you to know that I couldn't stop"

Me thinking: "Thanks, great. My problem, your fault."

She was so distressed though, that she'd hurt my feelings and been in any way anti-cyclist. We sympathised with eachother about the horrible conditions and I stepped out of the road to let her set off - because I couldn't actually get enough purchase on the ice to start riding again till I got to the top of the hill.

So weird, so wonderful.

Then some ***t in an SUV passed me at 90kph with no room to spare and my goodwill was gone. Still, one person with good intention is better than none with any clue.

4 comments:

Tanya said...

They really need to invent different horn tunes don't they so we can figure out the driver intention :) Just today someone beepedy-beepedy-beeped me and it did occur to me perhaps their brakes weren't working or some other such thing, but seeing as the roads here now are completely clear (7C) I figured it was just an impatient arse trying to pass a left turning car on the right at full speed, so I gave him a one-fingered wave instead.

Wildefrost said...

Wow. That was so nice of that lady. I wish all people were that nice! Glad to hear you weren't hurt.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.