Sunday, January 02, 2011

Last of the season and first of 2011

The cyclo-cross at Todmorden was awesome. The whole course was muddy, exciting and challenging but the piece de resistance was a long cobbled climb to the highest point on the race.

It was unrideable by all but the best riders and even many of them resorted to running by the time it got slippery and slidey. At the top were two guys with an I-phone sitting atop 12inch tall speakers mixing techno tunes. Though they met my request for some Foo Fighters with some RunDMC and Guns 'n' Roses. I swear they have my running trax.

At the top of the last lap climb I was close to lapping my usual nearest female competitor and then disaster struck, a puncture.

I ran the rest of the course and was only caught up by my traditional partner in crime - Phil Thackary. I had been 44.7 seconds ahead up until that point.

Not a finish I can ever be disappointed with, Phil caught me approaching the last few turns and we sprinted for the line. I think he probably let me win but I like to imagine not.

How did I get to this point?
Some ski-ing, some strength training, some tri training, intensive racing then one blank week with a cold before a week of activity and then another rest week.

This may be worth remembering.

No comments: