Saturday, January 29, 2011

Proper started

The last few weeks have been a build up / rest before starting properly... and what a way to start.

We decided to go riding tomorrow because it's going to be warmer tomorrow but I had still planned a 37km spin as a gradual build-up to some racing speeds later in the season, as well as the 90km bike climbing test I'd lined up for tomorrow.

So this morning I put Red on the turbo trainer and pounded out an hour & 10' of spinning in the living room with the conservatory door open for some cooling outdoor air.

I thought it might actually be interesting to keep a record of the shape of my legs this year so I took this before I hit the bike.



By the time I'd finished I was in the mood for a brick training session so (after a long transition involving dry clothing, hat and gloves) I put on the running shoes and did a short lap of the village.

I was suffering quite accutely from a left hamstring issue. Tried tightening the shoe but by the time I got into the village, I had to resort to removing the corrective insole from my left shoe. This seemed to work - no more hamstring pain and no more of the hip and knee pain I was experiencing on Thursday.

I took a run down a footpath but it got me nowhere except muddy and I retraced my steps and instead of doubling the distance, I took the shortest route home. Frightened by an ambulance overtaking some dumbfuck on a blind corner with a car coming the other way.

It must've been about 2:30 when I got in so we ate a big bowl of Puchero each and I spent the rest of the day cleaning and doing food shopping by way of recovery.

More of the same tomorrow.

No comments: