Sunday, February 24, 2019

Train like a pro day 3 - Mates ride

Not the traditional pro today (and yesterday) but I did take all kit loaded out to the peak along with my trusty companion, Mr Landslide.

There was a fair quantity of haze around as we left the city on Saturday afternoon.
The Eastern Moors

We dawdled through the peak, dicking about taking pics and visiting stone circles before heading to The Robin Hood Inn, dined on fine lasagne and beer then went in search of a place to stay.

Papp'd

A poorly framed stone circle
 The accommodation was fine - flat, dry, comfortable. The company quiet, companionable and well organised.  We compared bivi notes.  I started off swathed in layers and had to de-layer in the night.  He started off delayered and had to add layers in the night.  My 1996 bivi bag really does give a fab night's sleep (not yet tested in the wet) as it is both snuggly, breathable and perfectly shaped for my form.
Basecamp

We went to sleep about 9pm then I got up for a faff, in search of allergy tablets, my outdoor allergies having been suppressed for some time by the virus, finally came to the fore of my failings again.  Sadly no allergy tabs on board so I went for a pee and that seemed to sort my chronic sneezing fit - an odd repair!

I slept through till 6:30 when birdsong and squawking pheasants woke me up.  The sunrise was fine, when we got up and got riding, the temperature inversion finer.  We brewed porridge and coffee then set off on day 2.





More stone circles and burial grounds were visited.  Once we dropped into the valley, temperatures plummeted and gloves were added.  Second breakfast was served in the Edensor caf at Chatsworth.  Very fine heated building with Pork Products.  After we climbed again, we had third breakfast at Longshaw sitting outside eating ice-cream and having more conversations than we'd bargained for.

We went out separate ways at the Foxhouse Inn as I set off for Houndkirk and Landslide headed over Blacka to do family time.

There may be no pro's in this sport but that's the best value training I've had all week.

No comments: