Sunday, March 25, 2018

Off offity off off

I had arranged a ride this weekend.

After the panic of not getting in my March Ride Round the Year done, I entered the only 200 available to me, a plod over to Kirkby Steven from Clitheroe, including all the lumpy bits.  It's the 200k I want the North West Passage to be (but in March, not February).  It was also slated to be a beautiful day (as it is).

It looked lovely but the question rumbled, after last week, could I even manage it?

Throughout the week I rode to work, determined to work through a few niggles on my bike from last week.  Cleats were moved (yes again) and the saddle hitched around.  By Thursday, it still wasn't really all fixed.

On Friday, with this super-hilly event looming, I had a rest day and drove to work and promised myself I would have a day off on Saturday too.

I mooched about the house, tidying for a guest visiting - making up the spare room, finding things long lost and pondering the coming months.  I packed my things for the Sunday ride, got the bike out to give it a clean and maintained the shit out of it.  I now have all the gears back, the brakes are re-aligned properly and I've dropped the saddle a smidgen yet again.  I don't know why because I was just supposed to move it backwards.

I had a nap, the friend arrived and then we chatted over dinner before all retiring to bed.

By about 10pm, I knew I wasn't going out on Sunday morning.  There was no way and when the boy's alarm went off at 6:30 am, I slept straight through, saw them off at 7:30 and then fell back asleep until 8:59.  There is no "clocks back" about this, to be honest, that's roughly the time I have been feeling like getting up a lot recently.

I like this little breathing space I have given myself.  Despite spending most of yesterday getting ready for the ride, I gave myself time to reflect on what is important for me moving forward.

I will still try and achieve the RRtY with a 200k next weekend.  TSK and I are already planning something, to email a man about a nice flat Cheshire 200.  Strength and consistency need to take over though now, in readiness for TAW and tapering towards the end of May.

No more long nights in the office.  There will be early morning rides again and then home to work on my strength and mobility.  The tennis ball is my new best friend.

A few weeks ago I did a little bit of running, with the intention of doing local fell races again.  Not competitively but just because I love the excuse of going out somewhere in the Peak in the evening, enjoying myself and then coming home knackered and hungry.

After a conversation about the Trunce last week, I realise the first one is tomorrow which gives me the perfect excuse for another mini vacation today.

It's beautiful outside and I have to get out, I know I do... but what I'm going to do is go and fidget in the garden for a bit and then maybe, just maybe, take my bike out and have a little ride on it, see just how comfy we can get.

Then, I hope above hope, next weekend can be a breeze, a pain and injury-free breeze.

No comments: