Friday, July 14, 2017

Friday night out

My legs feel 'orrible right now but that's fine because it's been  a truly epic week.  After a hard ride last weekend, running full distance on Monday morning and bikes / runs in between, no wonder my legs feel rubbish.  All I need now is to check I can do this stuff (this weekend) and then carefully recover for doing it full-on properly in 13 days time.  I'm starting to feel tantalisingly confident.

Swimming always takes it out of me and because of that I always leave it till the last minute to nail the distance. After my short and chilly swim on Tuesday I was determined to nail the distance on Thursday so fully suited up and took the plunge under darkening skies.  The weather obliged and I had a comforting foot massage from the rain and a bit of choppy water practice to suit before it all cleared up again and I  swam my last lap in millpond conditions.
It wasn't hassle free by any means. I sprinted that last lap. Not because I was cold or bored but because I was just tired. I will have to keep going now  until my departure date to make sure I can comfortably do the distance, not struggle through and suffer onto the bike...

But it was done and it was over-distance and the time was about right so we're happy that I can do that bit now...

but then there's another opportunity to do a long ride and a brick run to persuade myself that running 13miles after this big bike is not actually going to kill me and so, swimming will happen Tuesday, before that, there will be miles... and a movie.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Re swim, I found the worst thing by far was the congestion round the buoys. It was my first mass start though! I didn't find it too cold at all (due to practice I reckon) and the lake is extremely beautiful! Sounds like you're on track to me.

Trepid Explorer said...

Hoping it won't be too cold as I don't do well in cold water but it can't be worse than my Celtman effort. It's only half the distance for a start!

I'm not really worried about the swim - more the effect it will have on the rest of my day!

Unknown said...

I think it was 14 degrees when I did it and to me it just felt normal. The Mediterraneans were suffering though!

Trepid Explorer said...

Ah, we've been *basking* in 20 degrees in Yorkshire. At 14 I will revert to my warm vest and excuse myself for eating cheese this week!