Monday, April 18, 2011

Trunce 2

I'm thinking that I really need to break this cycle of multisport events followed the day after by Fell Races. Specifically the quite difficult Trunce which involves a (now familiar) river crossing.

This week I started further forward in the field and started my watch to time the pause at the gate on the first downhill. 2 minutes 20 seconds.

Still, it all counts towards the overall time.

I ran through the water on the first river crossing but stuck to the stepping stones on the second. This time it cost me two places so next time I shall be in the river with everyone else. As the stepping stones get wetter, they get slippier and it's a risk I don't want to take.

The race really hurt today. It was HARD. My arms we non-existent meaning I felt like I had half power on all of the steep climbs and on the flats, my legs were tired. I got indegestion on the first road section which made my breath short so I slowed down a little. As soon as it had gone I sped up again. A few people passed me on the flat but I was pretty happy with how things were going considering I raced the day before.

I had to walk a little bit on the final evil climb but did manage to run the last sections at the top. I was mostly passing other runners on the final flat section before the long downhill to the finish which I free-wheeled as best I could again, giving a big sprint effort for the line, the likes of which I have no idea where that came from.

I looked at my Garmin (first time I actually remembered to bring him to this race) and the time said 36:00. Bear in mind this doesn't include the queue for the gate. Official result: 40:19 and 20th in the womens field. A PB by 2 minutes 20 seconds.

No wonder it hurt.

No comments: