Monday, April 17, 2023

A running streak

A running streak.Not streaking. No nudity is involved It must be the warm, sunny mornings. Finally I'm motivated to do a little more than just walk.

It's not just the warm dry mornings though. Once I am out there, the movement flows so easily Almost 4 months of daily dog walks and my legs have once more found the strength to run. I bumped into Anne W and when she told me that she is still running I was so impressed I confided that I can no longer run far, or fast, or with any consistency. Her response:

"Neither can I but I don't think that matters at my age". She set me thinking and I've come back to running (again) as soon as I felt able. Maybe my backpacking weekend kicks started muscles. 

Despite Anne's commentary on consistency I thought I'd progress my walking streak and make it a running streak. There's no end date on it. Just run. At least I km per day. Mornings have worked well. If I know I have to do it tomorrow I am more careful not to overdo it today. 

On day 1 I got frustrated because the dog wanted to sniff so much and then I remembered: I'm not out there to be fast or train for anything. I'm just there to enjoy myself and if that means standing, watching the birds, so be it. After 1. 5km my legs were tired and I wished I had spent a little more time watching the dog lick someone else's piss off a blade of grass. 

Today was different. Today the world flowed and I floated. Woman and dog moved in (some sort of bungee) harmony. I stopped for all of the sniffs except the really long ones or the ones that seemed to require us to backtrack - a lot. 

I still walked the last little hill but I wasn't nearly as shot-at and we managed almost 5km.Let's see how tomorrow goes.

Pupdate

We paused the rules on the streak at the weekend which followed this post. With an 18km hike in, a campout and 27km hike home at the weekend, I think we will allow ourselves a running break.

On Monday I didn't label it a run but I shocked myself by managing enough of a jog on our dog walk to meet the cut and continue where we left off. 

No comments: