Tuesday, May 05, 2009

"You're not enjoying this job really are you?"

Took the words right out of my mouth.

For weeks I have been thinking I should let my boss know. I don't like it. I'm not a schmooze.

Give me the nengineering. Give me a person to get to know and a thing to do for them and I'll do it.

But cold calling? Not my thing.

So I said it, "Nope, I don't like my new job". Inwardly I conclude that it's best he know this rather than me spending my time secretly looking for a different job. Then, as I look to change my mortgage repayment protection supplier, I wonder if I picked the right time for a career crisis.

I also expect to find that I wish I'd changes suppliers sooner. Before my employers made some of their (let's face it) "surplus" people redundant.

Rather than suggest I quit on the new job he sensibly suggested that we come up with a plan for me to manage my anxieties about the job and focus on the bits I enjoy. That was nice. That's going to make getting up in the morning easier.

No comments: