Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Three Peaks Cyclo-Cross

The start line

Every year for 30-something years my dad has completed the Three Peaks cyclo-cross in North Yorkshire. There are only two others who have completed it more times and one of them is the organiser.

The race is 60kms long, 40kms is off-road and it involves 5000ft of climbing over three mountains - Ingleborough, Whernside and Pen-y-Ghent. It takes place at the end of September in conditions varying from bright sunshine to snow and water levels in the rivers vary from a trickle to knee-deep.

I have completed the Three Peaks cyclo-cross 3 times and failed to complete it twice. On one occasion I cried for 1.5 hours afterwards, as I'd put so much into it and I wasn't allowed to do the last hill. On the other occasion, I was so exhausted after the second hill I couldn't physically move my legs and was relieved that I could stop. I make this point to prove that it's tuff.

Whilst we were in the UK, we went to Yorkshire with m'dad to watch.
And they're off.

It was a grimey start to the day but the sun was trying...

By the time we got to the second meeting point it was succeeding.

Under the arches of the Ribblehead Viaduct, there he is...

1 comment:

Girl said...

that's impressive. wow.